Cleaning your house and saving money at home doesn’t have to be a pain.
Here are the best home shortcuts — from using toothpaste on walls to blow drying your sheets, check out these mind-blowing surprises that save us time and money!
1. Put a brick or jar in your toilet tank.
Reduce the amount of water used during each flush when you place a brick or jar filled with water in the back of your toilet.
2. Rinse your air conditioning vent covers in the dishwasher.
Close the vents before washing so there’s more surface area that gets cleaned. Then, blow dry any remaining water from the covers on the cool setting before installing covers back over your vents.
3. Keep salads cold with a shower cap.
Add ice to a shower cap then place a bowl filled with cold food like pasta salad in the cap, allowing the elastic to stretch over the sides to create an ice-box effect. Your food should stay cool for hours!
4. You can also use a shower cap as a travel dog bowl.
5. Use your blow dryer to squeeze every last drop of ink out of a cartridge.
Find the spot where the ink comes out of a cartridge (it should be the area that has colored patches and what appears to be a circuit printed on adhesive tape). Aim your blow dryer at that spot for 2-3 minutes. The heat will thin out any remaining ink and clear blockages in the tiny nozzles of the cartridge.
More printer ink = more coupons!
6. Use a blow dryer to warm up your bed if you don’t have an electric blanket.
7. Turn an empty cardboard box into drawer dividers.
All you need is some cardboard, a ruler, and a box cutter to make these easy dividers perfect for your sock or junk drawer! Get detailed directions here.
8. When building your grocery stockpile, lay boxed foods on their sides so more can fit.
9. Make a bag clip with a wine cork.
Slice a cork halfway up one end, and slide it over a folded bag to keep it in place.